as promised - some salads

| Sunday, March 4, 2012
One of our project topis is healthy food.

Well, in the last meeting in Oristano, Sardinia, we went ONE time to a pizzeria. Quite fair in Italy, hum?
As a picture of myself pretending to help baking pizzas got quite popular on Facebook I had promised to publish some salad recipies. Well - not really recipies, for this I would need to be professional and I am not, it's more a description of self-experience.
Once my wife helped, but two times it was just me!

Here we go:
We start with green salad, washed and picked in parts by hand.
Olive oil and some garlic give a nice base for shrimps.
And now all together with some (bought ready made) salad of celery. Delicious!

Number two: now me alone:
The salad is a combination of (okay, same package of bought ready made) celery salad, together with cleaned and cut pieces of two oranges and raisins.
The fish is a "Sarda", a blue fish, with lots of those Omegas. 3 or 6 of them. It got some slices of lemon into its belly before it went in the grill-pan.
The green side dish is cabbage, which entered a pan where I had roasted onions and garlic in olive oil, calmed down with some white wine (it's the one visible in the picture, in fact a "green wine" Quinta da Aveleda from the north of Portugal). I still had a piece of ginger, which I cut and added.
Well, this happens if the boy is alone at home :-)

And number three: A sign that I did not forget my Austrian origin, very simple, but really healthy and perhaps a little exotic for some of you: green salad with pumpkin seed oil from Styria.
Please have a look for this oil when you visit Austria, especially Styria (Graz is the capital of Styria). If you cannot come, please ask somebody to bring some of this very special oil. It's made of the seeds of pumpkin which are cleaned, roasted, and pressed to relieve their "green gold". (just one example without meaning it as advertisement or advice: http://www.pumpkinseedoil.cc/ )

Two practical advices:
- it might happen that your lips get a little green after enjoying this oil, don't forget to use your napkin ;-)
- if you get a spot of pumpkin seed oil to a piece of your clothes, washing will perhaps not help. But the spot will disappear if you let the piece of cloth in sunlight for a while.


Well, as you see I am not a professional cook (trying to use what I have, not providing real recipies, perhaps comitting big sins in cooking, etc.). I don't know, and - to be honest - I don't care too much :-)
I just try to cook some healthy things (and eat a pizza all 3 months) and I want to encourage you, dear reader, to try to cook some healthy things, too.

And - please - if you want to publish your creations here, please don't hesitate to ask me for a author's permission or send me the article (with at least one picture! :-) )

1 comment:

Kinga said...

Gerhard, I'm very impressed! I'm sure that it tasted as good as it looks :)

Post a Comment